Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Why is it...

That an infant sleeping like a log in your arms will immediately wake up and scream when placed in his crib? No matter how gently you do it, no matter if you put a heated rice sack in there for warmth, no matter if you stand over it and go "SHHHH" until you run out of breath and pass out - none of this will work.

Some of the sounds, I swear you'd think we were torturing him...

My worst moment to date: I was clipping Owen's nails yesterday while Lisa was feeding him. Those things can get like razor blades, so we try to tag-team him to get it done quicker. I misjudged one thumb nail and dug into the tip of his thumb by mistake. A tiny pinpoint of blood and a little line on the flesh were all that you could see - but he screamed his head off! My heart sunk and I felt like the worst father on the face of the planet. I'd CUT my little baby boy! Talk about feeling crappy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a total clutz growing up and would get scrapes, cuts and bruises if a fly passed me. My mom used to always say:

"Don't worry dear. It will be long gone and healed by the time you to be my age."

Did I also mention that my mother is the person who lit my socked foot on fire one evening while I was laying on the couch next to her? All in good fun of course! (READ: My mom is slightly nutty, any and all advice should be taken with a grain of salt)

- - DDi

Anonymous said...

Good thing we didn't trust you to circumcize him, Higgy! Just kidding.

Peri, I once did that to my brother - closed his fingers in the car door. But like yours, our story had a happy ending.

And no, I didn't do in on purpose!

Sarah said...

I kept a heating pad on low in the crib (when my babies were out) of course!). The tricky part is taking the pad out of the crib when both your arms are filled with baby, but it's doable. And it works!

Peri et al are right. Every parent inadvertantly cuts those teeny fingertips once or twice. You do feel horrible. Interesting: I never once considered biting them off.

My precious daughter got a van door slammed on her hand when she was 5. We did the whole emergency room thing. Turned out she was fine.

Finally (hooray!), no doubt everyone's told you that sweet little Owen will be one big scraped bruise once he starts cruising.

Sarah J said...

My dad once cut my (then, 4 year-old) brother's ear with scissors when he was cutting his hair. He refused to let dad cut his hair ever again.
Be careful around car doors! I knew a kid who's mom slammed his sandaled foot in the car door and it cut off his little toe! Icky!

Mel said...

You are the most caring and doting father I've ever seen... every kid should be so lucky.

Clip away!