Thursday, June 29, 2006

Musings from the last month or so...

Melodie noted in the comments section that I haven't written much as of late. It's true - I've been much more content to post pictures of Owen with a line or two than go into any kind of good, healthy ramble. However, a few things have cropped up that I'll share with you:
1. We watched Lisa's niece Elena last Sunday - only for 8 hours or so - while Rob and Wendi were away celebrating Rob's 40th birthday. However, the experience reinforced the fact that once you get beyond two kids, you're outnumbered! The first couple of hours were really hectic - it's funny how much you realize you're dependent on routine when that routine goes out the window! We were both knackered by the end of the day.
2. It's been hot here. How hot? Damn hot. So hot I stick to my chair. So hot I wilt when I walk outside. So hot I break into a sweat just getting the mail (ok, that one's really not much of a stretch for me. I can usually break a sweat just walking across a room.) Needless to say, the AC and fans are running most of the day.
3. Owen is being fed rice cereal once or twice a day. Attention new parents! Rice cereal WILL cause some constipation. Then, when he does let fly - OHMYGOD! The smell! Rice cereal causes stinky poop. The consensus is that this will only get worse.
4. I'm already dreading hiring another nanny in August when Courtney goes back to school. She plays, talks, reads, laughs, and sings to him all day long.
5. The cat has consented to being petted by Owen for about 1/2 a second per day. This is an improvement over her being at least 4 feet away from him at minimum. She hasn't nipped or anything at him (yet) and we're being careful with them both - but that relationship is improving. Now if I can only get the cat to quit biting Lisa's feet, I'll be all set.
6. Work has been a cast-iron bugger. A real sod, from 4am and 5am conference calls, to software configuration issues (making me want to kill my developer - bloody good thing he's in Brazil and out of arm's reach), to unrealistic expectations from management. Such is life.
7. Ever since my toenail surgery in March, I haven't been walking as much. I've finally gotten back in the habit by walking as soon as I get up. It's the only way I can get some consistency into my work-out, and it doesn't interfere too bad with Lisa's and Owen's routines. Hopefully I'll start to shed some of the weight that has managed to find it's way home.
8. I'm up to 1400 total pictures of Owen. I need help. What you see posted here is usually the 1 of 10 shots that didn't come out blurry (usually because of him moving, although I have drunk more caffeine lately.) I do have some video that I'm going to experiment with posting as well.
9. One person from work insists on sending every email to me as Urgent. All I have in my Urgent inbox are emails from her. Long, wordy, droning emails with 2MB attachments that I need to read. Talk about unmotivated. My motivation has been in the tank (see #6 above)
10. I'm in dire need of a holiday. This long weekend coming up is going to be bliss - nothing planned (for once!) and if I have my way, nothing WILL be planned. We've been busy as blue-assed flies lately, so a bit of downtime will be much appreciated. Hope you all have a super weekend, where ever you are!

3 comments:

Mel said...

Thank you :)

(I'm similarly unmotivated this week... the heat + the summer + July 4th around the corner = no want to work!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that, Kaf. Besides giving Higgy something to anticipate you've made my upcoming breakfast seem...less than something to look forward to.

Glad I'm not having rice cereal with spinach!

Anonymous said...

The heat is taking a toll on all of us here in su.so.ca. too. I've been to Sacramento in the summer so I know it's probably worse where you are, but - sheesh!