Friday, October 06, 2006

10 Month doctor's visit.

Holy crap - has it been 10 months already? *checks calendar* - yup, we've been full of Owen-y goodness for almost a whole year already! Wow, time flies when you're a dad. Or a mom. Or just plain getting older. Anyway, I thought (since it's Friday and no-one's in the office) that an update was in order:
1. Owen's 10 month checkup went splendidly - although he burst into hysterical tears at the sight of the doctor and nurse. I guess the memories of the innoculations from 6 months have stayed with him...
2. He's 21 lbs, 4 oz, and 28.5 inches tall - which puts him at almost exactly 50th percentile both height and weight. His noggin is at the 75TH percentile - so my kid has a big head! Takes after his old man, I hear you all say...
3. The doctor fully expects Owen to start exceeding the curve on the height scale. He said "...because you are... so tall." Yes, there was a definite pause in his sentence. I don't know if he was just being polite - i.e. not calling me "big", "huge" or "such a lardass" - or if it's because the doctor is only about 5'4"!
4. We're having a party tomorrow. The first annual Harnett Open House. You're all invited. Noon to 5pm (to allow us time to get Owen into bed afterwards.) Beer, soda and snacks provided. Neighbours, friends and family are all coming. Should be a good time - will post pictures later.
5. I'm building my own computer. Not sure if I mentioned that here or not (and am too lazy to go look.) I must be a masochist. However, I'm looking forward to it. Should be fun and I'm looking forward to building a neat machine.
6. We're expecting about 40 people at various times during the day tomorrow. I imagine there'll be 5-10 here at all times, with people drifting in and out. Some people we haven't seen in several months, others we see every day.
7. Before anyone asks, I'm NOT building my own PC from scratch (with transistors and soldering iron - although my brother and I did build one kit back in the mid-80's that way!) No, I'm buying the motherboard, case, HD, memory, processor and OS and slamming them all together.
8. The doctor also stuck Owen's finger and drew a drop of blood to test his iron. It came back an 11.4, which apparantly is good. He could have walked in and said it was 9 bajillion and we'd have never known the difference. However, this just further reinforces Owen's hatred of the doctors and all the stabbity sharp things that are therein.
9. Our friends Melodie and Greg are expecting a little boy! Yay for them. I suggest they start a poll on which one of them gets peed on first. My bet is on Melodie. This makes 5 babies in 4 months that we know about for 2007!
10. Our nanny has gone to Florida for two weeks while her school is on break. We've got friends and family helping us watch Owen while she's gone. It'll throw our routine off a little bit, but them's the breaks!

Till next time,
Higgy.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Higgy, my son peed on me moments after his birth. When the doctor held him up for me to see, *splash* right in my eye.

He's been cracking me up ever since!

Anonymous said...

Poor Owen, stuck again.

21 pounds! He's getting so big.

Takes after dad.

Have a fun party.

Mel said...

Boys, boys, boys! We're super-excited. And, if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Owen is on the name list. But it probably won't last... "Owen Holden" is kinda awkward rolling off the tounge.

Our next one had better be a girl... I'm not sure I can handle the testosterone imbalence for too long :)

Mel