Friday, January 05, 2007

Reflections on a year gone by, and other mindless ramblings...

I meant to write this earlier this week - but things got kinda hectic...

1. This year has gone faster than any other that I can remember. I'm sure this is going to be true every year from here on out, but I'm absolutely and truly gobsmacked that a year ago, I became a father.
2. Owen is constantly changing - I look back at some of the (ahem) 3250 pictures I have of him and am amazed at the almost daily change that has occurred. He's a beautiful, smart and happy little kid. Can you blame me for taking that many pictures?
3. My world changed forever a year ago. I remember driving home from the hospital and calling my dad. I swear, it felt like the entire world was in 3D for the first time for me. Leaves were popping out of the trees, colors were more vibrant - it was odd, but in a great way. The funny thing is, my dad said the same thing happened to him when my brother was born!
4. This Xmas - while it was the first "real" one for Owen - was the least Christmassy I've felt since I was in retail. Of course, it was a tough month - what with Lisa's aunt passing away, Owen and me being sick, and then not being able to decorate the outside of the house because we were waiting on the darn gutter people. Felt kinda grinchy. Oh well, next year will be better.
5. Work is slowly picking back up for me. I swear, I might as well sign off around December 15th, and sign back on around January 10th. Nothing happens between those days.
6. One of Lisa's gifts to me was a set of surround sound speakers for my PC. 70 watts of bass-thumping power, baby! I hooked them up this week. I honestly think they're more powerful than my old stereo. I'm almost done tinkering with the PC. Now I just need to tidy up the power cable mess and I'll be all set.
7. I've lost enough weight this year to officially start wearing size L clothes. Which is weird - I haven't GOT many size L clothes. Lisa got me quite a few as presents. My plan is to keep losing weight this year until I hit "normal" BMI. I managed to get to "Overweight" from "Obese" last year - now to keep it going. I haven't posted much about my diet here because I didn't want people constantly asking about it!
8. I absolutely LOATHE buying clothes. Especially the "trying-it-on" part. I'd much rather buy it, take it home, try it on and return it (if necessary) rather than go into those damn fitting rooms. That might explain why I still have clothes from college in my closet.
9. I'm going to be 37 this year. Not sure how I feel about that. Overall, probably pretty relaxed, I'd say.
10. It seems like 2007 is the year for a lot of our friends and family to have second (or third or fourth) children. We have at least 7 different couples having babies in the first 6 months of the year. I wonder how many the second half of the year will see?

Anyway, by now you've fallen asleep on the keyboard, and are drooling onto the space bar while developing a nasty case of "QWERTYitis." Hope 2007 is a great year for you and yours. Keep stopping by for Owen-y goodness updates!

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I keep trying to reflect on the year gone by and am completely overwhelmed. I don't even want to go back and read my posts - it's been such a roller coaster (nothing like having a baby or losing massive amounts of weight but big to me) - but at least I've got a lot of it in writing. Kind of a good feeling.

Sarah said...

Congrats on the diet! You've obviously been working very hard on that.

Thanks for the past year of Owen-y goodness!

Anonymous said...

*collapses from photo-y overload*

Most excellent.. he just gets cuter each time..

Mel said...

Great reflection on the year gone by.

From one who has recently graduated to a different kind of "large" and has a similar distain for shopping, I recommend gap.com. Order a few things and it's easy to get to $100 for free shipping. They arrive quickly. Try them on at home and return anything you don't want to your local Gap store at no penalty. (And there are Gap stores everywhere...) They also have a good sale section on the site.

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments! You'll have to post a photo of the new svelte size large you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your family and your thoughts with us. You add a lot of goodness, Owen-y and otherwise. :)
Eleanor