Monday, January 23, 2006

50 Things you may or may not know about me...

I've happily stolen this concept from other blogs, so here I go:
1. I didn't have a middle name until I got married.
2. Then I took my wife's maiden name as my middle name.
3. I'm 6'3 and 260 lbs.
4. Yeah, I know I should lose weight.
5. I lost 35 lbs in 2004 before my wedding using the Atkins diet.
6. I gained most of it back in 2005.
7. My nickname came from my fraternity. Magnum PI was big at the time (mid-80's)
8. The main reason I pledged my fraternity was to have someplace to drink. I was 16 when I started college. Do the math.
9. My kids will laugh if they ever see my grades from my sophomore year in college
10. I hated my accent in high-school, but learned to make the most of it in college.
11. My undergraduate degrees are in Computer Science and History. I started with one and picked up the other. Don't ask me why.
12. I then went to the University of Buffalo for a Master's in Military History.
13. My Master's thesis was on the Falkland Island's war of 1982.
14. I postulated that Argentina was historically and geographically entitled to the islands, with numerous precedents in other areas of the world.
15. It didn't go over well with the department head. He talked to me at length over why I was wrong.
16. That chat didn't dissuade me - I submitted my thesis as it was.
17. That chat DID dissuade me from pursuing a PhD. That, and I was sick of school.
18. Some of my happiest memories are of Buffalo. Hanging out with Satch, Al and Patti at the Raintree - eating wings, drinking beer and playing NTN.
19. NTN is National Trivia Network - you'd answer 15 questions over 30 minutes, using a little radio pad - and the wrong answers would drop off as the timer/scorer counted down. I loved that game. You'd match scores with players from all over the country. Once I actually made national rankings.
20. I still play Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) with my two best friends from high school. Anyone who thinks D&D is bad for you is welcome to put their reasons in the comments.
21. I've been playing it since 1984-ish. Almost 22 years. Fun times.
22. I was born in South Wales, UK in 1970. That makes me a gazillion years old.
23. My family spent 5.5 years in Malaysia - starting when I was 6. A heck of a way to grow up.
24. We moved from the tropics of Malaysia to the snows of Upstate New York (Oswego) in 1982. A little culture shock? Not as much as the weather shock!
25. At the halfway mark, I realize that I've not really revealed anything terribly interesting. I wonder if anyone will keep reading beyond this. Better throw something juicy in here. I'm not circumcised, and neither is my son. There, that'll keep the punters interested...
26. I'm the youngest of three - an older brother Paul then my sister Rachel is inbetween us. There was almost a fourth after me!
27. I didn't have a drink on my 21st birthday because I had a bet with my girlfriend at the time that I could go longer without drinking than she could without smoking.
28. I won that bet - although I kick myself for having made it in the first place.
29. My wife is amazed that I've lived this long. Some of the things I did in college stun even me as to their blatent stupidity.
30. I was once stopped for suspicion of DWI in college. Amazingly, although I was covered in dried beer and was wearing shorts while it was 30 degrees out - I was stone-cold sober. The cops let me off with a warning to fix a taillight.
31. I'm totally not a gearhead. If they invented a self-maintaing car, I'd buy it. Just not interested in the slightest.
32. I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis 4 years ago. Since then I haven't felt anything even remotely related to it. I wonder if it was just a convenient excuse because they couldn't find anything else wrong with me.
33. While I was typing this list, I was on a conference call, two net meetings and 6 chats. I am the god of multi-tasking.
34. My receding hairline is starting to catch up to my bald spot. I refuse to do anything about it either.
35. My ex-fiancee pressured me to try Rogaine for a while. I hated it. Might be one of the reasons she's my EX-fiancee.
36. I broke my right-most incisor when I was 8 years old (in Malaysia.) The dentist there (WARNING - GRAPHIC) had to kill the nerve by shoving several 2 inch steel rods into the stump of the tooth. The novocaine wore off before he was done.
37. I had that stump in the front of my smile for the next 7 years. When I was 15, our dentist in Oswego pulled them all out, removed the tooth and gave me a temporary bridge.
38. I had that temporary bridge for 17 years. Then I had an implant put in.
39. That was the third best money I've ever spent. For those keeping track, the second best money was my LASIK surgery. The best money I ever spent was on Lisa's engagement ring.
40. My dad made a great speech at my rehearsal dinner - he pointed out that we think of our friends as family. That's one of the many things I love about my wife. We both are the same way when it comes to that.
41. Many of you are probably wondering where all the Owen pictures are. Well, you're almost finished with this list. Be patient. Ummm - for this fact - I'll be kinda boring. I'm a big fan of ska music. For those who don't know what ska is - have a listen here.
42. I also read a lot of science fiction and fantasy. Kinda goes with the playing D&D thing.
43. While I'm not a gear-head, I do LOVE gadgets - especially electronic ones. I got a hand-held Soduko game for Xmas and I'm thrilled about it!
44. My birthday is next week and I'm incredibly blase about it. Eh. 36. Whippidy-do.
45. I can be a horrible procrastinator. Thankfully, I have a very patient wife.
46. I bought an original NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) off eBay just so I could play a game called Genghis Kahn. Eric, Gene and I spent YEARS of our lives playing that in college.
47. I also spent years playing the various versions of Civilization. I'm looking forward to getting this next week!
48. Wow - only 3 facts to go. Ummm. I'm still getting used to the time difference on the West coast. By the time I think of calling most of my friends or family, they'd already be in bed.
49. Without bragging - I'm actually pretty good at my job. I'm probably about due for a change, but I enjoy what I do. I get to talk to a lot of different people and encounter variable client environments. Keeps things interesting.
50. Well, that's that. To finish off, I'd just like to say thanks for reading all this drivel. I'm a huge fan of Dave Barry (we're going to his book signing this weekend) and I've met several people from his website. They have all been incredibly funny and great to hang out with - I just wish some of them lived closer so I could spend more time with them!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Two Things I learned from your list:

1. I looked up sarcoidosis. Jeez, never heard of it before. This seems worthy of Dr. House (from the TV show Hubby & I like because House reminds us both of Hubby).

2. Never get dental work done in Malaysia.

When you go to Dave's book signing, get there early. He's fresh for the first 50 signings and barely hanging on by the 126th. But he's incredibly friendly and accomodating to everyone. Also, he's great looking but not very tall so make sure you stand behind him when you get your CrapCam shot!

Sarah said...

Oh, and thanks for the info on the dangly bits.

Anonymous said...

Scat: I never heard of Sarcoidosis either but it WBAGNFARB.

Apparently (according to my mother, who does not know the meaning of "boundaries") my great grandfather wouldn't acknowledge my existence for the first year of my life because I got circumsized by the doctor in the hospital rather than the mohel. When my brother was born a year later he gave up the protest.
He lived to 94 by the way, until just before I got married. He was a tremendous person.

Anyway, good list, Higgy.

Anonymous said...

50 facts and mostly people talk about the au natural state of your wedding tackle. Sweet.
(btw, I would have guessed it anyway considering where you were born)

Born in 70 makes you old? Shit I'm screwed. I was born in 71.

Men with accents are so very dreamy.
*sighs*

Anonymous said...

my step-children were born in '68 and '70!
-the ancient insomniac

Anonymous said...

Now that you have heard of sarcoidosis, watch House a little more closely. It is frequently mentioned as one of the options - never the one the person has, but it's in the list of things they rule out pretty darn quick.