Wednesday, January 18, 2006

It's been a while, but...

Some more lessons learned:
1. I'm so glad I played with Action Man (GI Joe for you Americans) with the Kung-Fu grip when I was younger. That was invaluable experience for dressing a new born. Now if only they had Writhing Kicking Screaming Action Man with the Kung-Fu Grip, it'd be uncanny...
2. Now that my dad's gone, I can move the changing table back into the nursery from my office. Nothing spells fun on a conference call like a screaming infant in the background!
3. Cluster feedings can be hazardous to your mental health. And I'm not even the breast-feeding person! Lisa is doing much better with it than I am.
4. I got a new web-cam through work, with a microphone attached. WOOHOO! Now all I have to do is get showered before I start work and I'm laughing...
5. I'm much more willing to let my baby scream for a little bit (such as when he's grunting/pooping/getting his diaper changed) than I thought I'd be. I feared that at the least little sniffle, I'd be picking him up and cuddling. Now I figure a little screaming is par for the course, heck, even good for him.
6. One guy I work with is apparantly unable of comprehending I am in a different time-zone than him. After rejecting his fourth meeting notice that started at 5am, I had to laugh. It was either that or kill him.
7. Owen is up to 9lbs! WOOHOO! He should be, given how much milk he snorks down daily! Our next doctor's appointment is in February.
8. While we haven't had any more projectile vomiting, he did manage a fantastic cleavage-burp on Lisa. She was carrying him in for a diaper change and he let fly right down her chest. You just have to laugh.
9. I can't believe it's the 18th of January already. I'm going to be 36 in a couple of days (well, 12 to be exact.) It's my 20th High School reunion this year and I'll be buggered if I'm going. Time flies.... Is it just me or does time go faster every year?
10. Most important lesson learned - just because the doctor clears you to have sex again (following the birth) does not mean you can or will or want to right away. There's a ton of other factors that get in the way and when the time is right, it'll happen. Having a screaming infant interrupt your "activities" is a sure fire way to stop you dead in your tracks!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Congrats, Higgys, you're now seasoned parents, letting little Owen cry. You're discovering that Owen needs parents who aren't too sleep-deprived to wrestle him into diapers. And have a sense of humor about cleavage burps.

Having a baby really does demystify the female body. When you and Lisa finally do get the energy to cuddle, try not to think of your favorite cuddly parts covered with your wonderful-beyond-words Owen's clotted milk.

P.S. Not to worry. If that were really a problem there'd be no second, third, etc. children!

DonnaJo said...

After our oldest was born (and I mean RIGHT AFTER -- still in the birthing room), the subject of when could we have sex again came up. Not by me, as I recall.

The doctor said, "Depends on if you have a private or semi private room."

My ex started to look hopeful; and then the doc said "KIDDING! Although it happens."

I just want to know, WHO!?!?!

My sister, a nurse manager, has walked in on couples.

Not even with an epidural. I mean OUCH.

Higgy said...

Sly - I could totally believe your sister's stories. We were told the exact same thing while we were in the hospital. The night before the birth, I actually got into the bed with Lisa so I could rub her back during contractions - when the nurse came in, she thought we might have been going at it....

Honestly. There's a time and place, people....

Specifically, 12:05pm on Thursday... Oops, TMI...