Sunday, January 08, 2006

More lessons that I've learned so far...

1. Having a baby fall asleep in the crook of your arm is a) a great way to enjoy the thrill of having a tiny person cuddled up to you all safe and secure; and b) a signal to your bladder that it's time to go.
2. A boppy is a fantastic multi-use tool. Picture to follow.
3. My good friend Gene called last night - he and his wife Mei have a 5-month old little girl called Arwen. They are excellent sources of real-life information, especially of what to expect! I talked to them for close to two hours, and actually got several words in edgewise. They are very proud parents!
4. In one lazy Saturday, my wife and I can turn our living room into a humoungous pile of junk.
5. Privet bushes should not be allowed to grow. I originally had this saying "grow over 6 foot tall", but I figured I'd rather be a bit more drastic. The root of this bloody thing is going to kill me (harkening back to some of my gardening shots from October - check the archives!)
6. I think I've finally sussed out the diaper genie. It's only been five weeks. I are a college draguate.
7. My two best friends (well, besides Lisa, of course) and I all have a child born in 2005. Brennan, Arwen and Owen. How cool is that?
8. In a half-hour on Sunday night, I can take a humoungous pile of junk from the living room and make it semi-habitable again.
9. Owen had his first projectile vomit the other day. While I've seen this plenty in my college days (hey, I was in a fraternity!), I've never seen anyone so calm about it. He casually puked up most everything he'd eaten all over himself and his car seat (we'd just gotten to my in-laws') and didn't bat an eye or shed a tear. Didn't phaze him at all. I wish I'd had that sort of control. Of course, I was drunk as a skunk when it happened to me...
10. Last night, he slept for 4 hours solid, thus depriving me of my 1 am bottle-feeding. Is it wrong that I was oddly and minorly disappointed in that? I should be thrilled that he's sleeping longer, but in a way I was getting used to these feedings as sort of "our time." Silly, I know, (and I was able to feed him at 6am instead) but it just kind of threw me a little bit. Oh well. Enough blathering - time for bed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Higgy - you need the sleep, really!!! :)

rita said...

When my oldest granddaughter was born, I stayed with them the first week that they were home. I had the night shift, and I treasured that time with Avery. I got to watch her, cuddle her, talk to her about our plans together, and when that week was over, in spite of the sleep deprivation, I really missed our nights together.

Now she's 6 and lives almost 1000 miles away. I miss her so much.