Friday, April 21, 2006

Doctor's Visit update...

So we went to the Doctor's for the 4-month checkup. Good news and bad news. Good news is that he's in the 50th percentile for height, everything looks fine (hearing, reflexes, flexibility) and the few questions we did have were answered no problem.

The bad news is his weight is only in the 10th percentile. So obviously he doesn't take after his dad! We've got to feed him more - the doctor wants him to gain 3 lbs in the next 2 months. Heck, I can gain 3 lbs in 2 hours if I try hard enough! However, this means introducing him to rice cereal or formula in addition to the breast milk. We're a little worried about his weight, but Lisa did some research on the web and found out that the growth charts are not specific to breast versus formula fed babies. So we're not AS worried!

The shots went better than last time - the doctor was on the third shot before Owen started crying, and he was done crying about 2 minutes after the shots were over. As we were leaving the office, a guy on a motorbike asked us if Owen was just in the doctor's - he said he could hear the screams over the engine! Quite the set of lungs on the lad!

For those of you taking bets - I did NOT hit the doctor as he was puncturing my son. Lisa restrained me.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Dang. Lost the bet.

Please take pix of Owen eating cereal. Babies look like little birds when they see the spoon coming their way.

And try as you may, you too will open your mouth as you aim the spoon at Owen!

Anonymous said...

Higgy, don't worry. My niece is 2 and they told my sister she is in the 90th percentile for height and 20th percentile for weight. This for a kid who eats anything and everything and is solid as a rock.

Once you get him started on the beer he'll reach Higgian proportions in no time!

Anonymous said...

After talking to my sister, a dietician, we are avoiding the solids and just adding additional dry formula to the breastmilk when we feed him a bottle. Since I was sick this week, my supply was a little low... luckily I had a supply in the freezer. He's sucking down the bottles like crazy. Thanks for your support.

Leetie said...

I can see the benefit of growth charts if there is a proven relationship between low weight percentile and malnourishment or illness. If it's just a statistical sampling of baby sizes in the US, Owen doesn't need to be pressured to conform to a higher dot on the chart. He's beautiful. Plus, don't they say that skinnier kids are healthiest? And least likely to be overweight as a grownup? You acquire your full fat potential in your first few years of life.

Now when my daughter's head size started skyrocketing rather than slowing down, I got a bit worried. Turns out she just has a huge head like her dad. Lucky girl! ;P

Hope you're feeling better, Lisa!

Owen-y goodness. I still love that.

DonnaJo said...

Since my pediatrician had more medical education than I, I will admit to paying attention to what he said; but not blindly. He encouraged questions, I asked them and he answered. During the exams, he did the chart and percentile thing, followed with "now that the formalities are over, let's see how she looks and if she's happy. His kids were the same age as mine, and we would often have Doctor/Daddy conversations.

Me: Is she running a temp because she's cutting teeth?

Doc (Standing with right side facing me): As a doctor, I will tell you that is scientifically impossible.

Doc: (Turning so left side is facing me): As a father, I will tell you it happens every time.