Thursday, December 15, 2005

Lessons, Day Four.

Some continuing lessons we've learned:
1. According to my wife - the main difference between breast-feeding and breast-pumping is that the pump doesn't gnaw on you.
2. Going up one size in diaper because you're out of the new-born size = massive leakage.
3. My son's bladder is capable of soaking out the back of an ill-fitting diaper, through his outfit, his blanket, my wife's robe AND part of the phonebook on the floor. I don't think MY bladder could do that.
4. Is it just me or does the phrase "gnaw on you" just make your skin jump?
5. You can never have too many burp cloths.
6. We've now been given 5 full meals by 4 different couples. People ROCK!
7. Calling several plumbers to come unclog your main line NOW while holding a screaming baby is one of the tests of a parent. Luckily, I passed.
8. If your house doesn't have a main-line cleanout - get one. I don't care if you're on a septic tank - you need one of these. Well, okay, maybe just I do.
9. Laundry, much like time, increases 200% with the addition of a newborn. His outfits are the size of my handkerchiefs, but still...
10. Since the birth (which was before our baby shower!), every day is like Christmas. People keep dropping by with gifts and to visit the baby. Insert your own "3 wise men" joke in the comments.

9 comments:

MrFisher said...

ok, ok I got one.

When the three wise men finally arrived, Mary asked them why they were covered in soot and reeked of smoke.

In unison they replied;

Because, we came from a fire.

Ok, maybe that only goes over well in the redneck saturated part of the country, where we call a fire, a far.

Keep it Higgy!! I'm reliving the past year here. (actually alot of it is still going on, oops, didn't mean to scare ya with that ;-P )

MrFisher said...

coming, keep 'em coming, sheesh

Sarah said...

Higgies, I'm loving your blog.

Everybody's already told you what life with a baby will be like. But I bet nobody told you that your life would suddenly center around things that come out of the human body.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious, Higgy.

Massive Leakage WBAGNFA Baby or Geriatric RB.

DonnaJo said...

We had a baby shower for a co-worker yesterday at work whose due date is your original due date. I showed her the picture of you hugging the clothes. She loved it!!

DonnaJo said...

It's early. Please excuse the poor editing in that post.

Leetie said...

Two of my earliest lessons after having my daughter:

You'll never know how much you can love someone until you have a kid.

You'll never know how much your parents love you until you have a kid.

Anonymous said...

Only 3 "wise" guys would bring impractical gifts such as Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh.

If it had been 3 wise women, they would have brought diaper wipes, a Blockbuster gift card and a frozen casserole.

Mike Weasel said...

You might want to reread "Babies and Other Hazards of Sex" just for a refresher.