Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Lessons, day whatever...

1. If I didn't have a calendar on my PC, I'd have no idea what day it was or the date. Thank god the sun comes up so I know if it's day or night.
2. I can do 95% of my Xmas shopping in 3 hours - which includes about 30 min driving.
3. When the diaper genie (which works for my wife, but not for me - bastard!) won't go down any further, it's time to empty it.
4. Having my MP3 player in my ears is a great way to a) avoid making small talk with other harried shoppers in line and b) drown out the Xmas muzak that floats around the shops.
5. Emptying a diaper genie can be almost as disgusting as just throwing the 40-odd diapers into the garbage can one-by-one in the first place!
6. My mum arrives tomorrow night. WOOHOO! She'll be the first family member from my side to meet the little guy.
7. Being sleep-deprived, unshowered, unshaven and otherwise disheveled is also a great conversation-avoider when you're at the mall. Maybe that's why I always got great customer service - they thought I was a homeless lunatic wandering the stores...
8. My son gives me looks at times that I swear he's going to break into a short, matter-of-fact announcement. "Yes father, I understand I'm your wittle buddy-boy and in response to your multiple inquiries, I am doing fine. Please change my diaper and ask mother to wake me for the 6pm feeding."
9. Who do I petition for a 26-hour day? I could use the extra two hours for sleeping.
10. I have now learned to distinguish between my son's "hungry" cry and his "trying to fart/poop so hard that my face turns purple" cry. The reason is that one of them stops when I feed him.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Higgie family, (re:#5) you will very soon learn to love the Diaper Genie sausage link.

The trick to the DG is to (1) Ignore the directions that came in the package (2) Stuff the diaper so that it's firmly wedged in the opening (3) Close cover and twist many more times than you think you should (4) In severe exploded diaper situations, put the diaper in a plastic grocery bag before you begin Step 1.

Mastering the DG early is critical because the diapers only get bigger.