Thursday, December 29, 2005

Why I crack myself up sometimes...

Remember back when I said I crack myself up when I'm evil? Well, the reason for that was one particular Xmas present. Our niece, Marina, is 12 - and just starting to want gift cards to clothing stores for her presents. We got her one to American Eagle, but instead of just giving it to her in an envelope, I wrapped it in a box that our baby-bath was shipped in! This box was about 3 foot long, 2 foot high and a foot wide. I put three house bricks in there taped to the bottom for weight, and then I stuffed it full of all the extra packing material (bubble wrap, air packs, etc) that I had around the house. Then, I sealed the whole thing with packing tape and wrapped it like a regular gift. It took almost a whole roll of paper to do it, and I was giggling to myself the whole time. When we took it over to their house, everyone was asking who'se present it was. Marina was stunned that it was for her, and spent a good deal of time shaking it, weighing it and trying to guess what was in there. Needless to say, there was great anticipation when it came to opening - and everyone (including Marina) got a good laugh out of it. She later accused us of making her THINK while she was on vacation! HEHEHEHEHE!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, Higgy, you are evil.

I like that.

DonnaJo said...

My ex and I got Meghan an iPod Nano for her birthday, which she kind of expected. But I packaged it in a similar fashion, putting 2 5 lb handweights in the bottom of the box. It threw her off for a total of 10 seconds.

Anonymous said...

a friend of my sister's did the same thing to me... he gave me a bicentennial quarter (this dates the story) wrapped in a box with a concrete block!

Sarah said...

This reminds me of a Barney & Friends episode from about 10 years ago.

Barney gave (shudder!) Baby Bop a lovely gift box on her birthday. It contained another identical box. So did the next. And next.

Just when the suspense of "What The *@%# Did Barney Give Baby Bop???" just about gave us heart attacks, she opened the last box.

It was empty.

Barney, Baby Bop and all of their friends thought this was a great gift. Seriously. They hopped around, Barney clapped and giggled "Hoo hoo!", Baby Bop made that awful "Oooo!" sound of hers and the human kids all cooed with envy.

I figured that Barney had finally flipped, shown his evil side as well of his hatred, which I can easily understand, of Baby Bop.

Sarah said...

Lt. Woman, evidently Baby Bop brings out the snarkiness in me. But, hey, a big buildup to a box full of air and a concept just seems like a gift only Rod & Todd Flanders would like.

My preschool kids would've thought it was a not nice trick!

Sarah said...

Oops, I posted when I tried to edit.

The gift box of love would be a cherished gift for a mom. But it's pretty high concept for a preschooler!